The Grantee/Cooperator hereby assures and certifies that they will comply with the regulations, policies, guidelines and requirements as they relate to the applications, acceptance, and use of the Leashes of Valor “Dust off” grant. These funds are to address the unmet needs in the working dog industry to purchase equipment, cover veterinary costs and emergency services to serve our working dogs.
- Any handler of a retired or active working dog can apply.
- The program is open to members of any department, agency, branch of service or working dog industry.
- Each application must have all requested supporting documents.
III. DETAILS OF THE PROGRAM
Grant recipients will be provided with support for their working dog in the form grant funding. Smaller grant applications are welcome. It is expected that grant funds will be used by the applicant and dog listed on the grant approval. Grant recipients will be expected to make their grant use activities accessible to Leashes of Valor for grant reporting, new funding proposals and donor outreach and marketing. The means by which this is achieved will vary according to the nature of the grant use. After completion of their project, grant recipients are expected to share the outcome of their “Emergency” with Leashes of Valor. Deliverables paid for with this grant must be clearly defined as a distinct sub-project that can be explained to the Leashes of Valor “Dust off” committee.
Applicants must submit an electronic copy of their grant application to Leashes of Valor.
Proposals should not exceed five pages, excluding letters of recommendation. Additional information that might be helpful to the selection committee may be attached. Proposals must include the following:
- Emergency funding justification in clear, non-specialist language, describe the cause for the funds request and how it relates to the program’s mission and the evaluation criteria outlined below.
- Budget- Veterinary cost estimates for scheduled procedures, emergency care receipts and justification for equipment with itemized sections are acceptable forms of documentation for funds needed. Please clearly identify other sources of funding, the amounts, and the status of that funding in the application.
- Supporting documents. Verification of Service Dog training, proof of working dog retirement or other forms of documentation must include the author’s contact information.
- Media release, brief bio and images of the K9.**
**MPC and agency exceptions apply. Contact Leashes of Valor president directly.
Proposals will be evaluated by a selection committee comprised of Leashes of Valor Executive Team and an Advisory Board. The following criteria will be used to evaluate the proposed work:
- Funds available, first come first serve, urgency of the situation, other resources available to the applicant
- The coherence and intelligibility of the proposal narrative and budget justification
- Feasibility of budget/budget justification
- A clear relationship between the budgeted expenditures and the proposal outcome (funds requested directly correlate to solving or addressing the emergency).
V. FOLLOW UP ACTIVITIES
Grant recipients must submit a brief update six months after receipt of the grant funds. In addition, and within one month of the conclusion of the grant period, the grantee must provide Leashes of Valor with a summary of the grant project and follow on pictures.